Importing Goods to TRIUMF from Outside of Canada on a Temporary Basis
For those TRIUMF Users shipping goods to TRIUMF from outside of Canada for use in experiments and who then plan to later export the goods back to their home institutions outside of Canada we have compiled this information sheet. The material you are shipping may qualify to enter Canada on a Scientific Expeditions Remission Order (SERO), which will permit your goods to enter the country duty free and tax-free.
The TRIUMF Shipping Department and TRIUMF’s Canadian Customs Broker, W.L. Rutherford Ltd., will assist you when shipping your equipment to TRIUMF.
Table of Contents
*** Please make all your email enquires to Ted Schenkeveld and cc both Edmond Wong, and Larry Wiseman ***
- Ted Schenkeveld
- Supervisor of Materials Management
- Tel. 604-222-7368
- Fax. 604-222-1074
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- W.L. Rutherford Ltd.
- Edmond Wong
- Vice President
- Tel. 604-273-8611 (Loc. 307)
- email: email@example.com
- W.L. Rutherford Ltd.
- Larry Wiseman, President
- Tel. 604-273-8611 (Loc. 311)
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to import goods from outside of Canada to TRIUMF and qualify for a SERO and duty free and tax free status, the following conditions must be met:
- The “expedition” must be conducted or sponsored by a scientific or cultural organization, an institution of learning or a foreign government.
- The participants in which must be non-residents of Canada.
- The sponsors of which have undertaken to make available to the Government of Canada all information obtained in Canada as a result of the expedition's field studies.
- A certificate statement letter, endorsed by an authorized representative of the expedition, must be presented and kept on record.
If the equipment you plan to import to TRIUMF meet the above conditions proceed to the next step. If you are not sure, please contact us and we will assess your situation and determine the best method to import your goods into Canada. (forms are available on the TRIUMF website)
- You will need to write a “Commercial Invoice”.
- If your organization does NOT have a business number, you will need to complete the Business Number Application form.
- If your organization does NOT have a “Full Power of Attorney” for our customs broker, you may wish to complete the Full Power of Attorney form. This will save you some time if your institution ships to TRIUMF on a regular basis. If you do not ship to TRIUMF on a regular basis you may wish to complete the simpler “Short Term Power of Attorney” which is only valid for one shipment. These forms authorize TRIUMF’s Canadian customs broker, W. L. Rutherford Ltd. to clear your goods into Canada on your behalf.
- You will need to write an endorsed certificate statement letter on your institution’s letterhead stating the goods you are importing into Canada meet the criteria to quality for the Scientific Expeditions Remission Order (SERO) as noted above.
- Once you have completed these steps forward this information to the above noted contacts.
- When you ship your goods please notify us with the name of the carrier and the waybill/tracking number. With this information we will be able to track your shipment and clear the goods into Canada without delay.
Other important factors regarding Scientific Expeditions Remission Orders that users must keep in mind:
- The maximum length of time the goods may remain in Canada is 18 months, although it should be noted, we may be able to request an extension after that time from the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). There is no guarantee that your request will be granted. If your request is denied and you don’t export your goods out of Canada you will be required to pay the applicable duties and taxes.
- Users will have to be cautioned not to remove goods from TRIUMF/ Canada even though the goods belong to them, without the knowledge of TRIUMF and Rutherford before hand.
Failure to comply with these procedures could result in penalties, which will be charged to your TRIUMF account.
- Business Number Application Form
- All institutions outside of Canda must have a business number before they can import goods to TRIUMF. If your institution does not have a business number this form must be completed.
- Full Power of Attorney
- This document gives TRIUMF's customs broker authority to clear goods into Canada. When completed this eliminates the need to complete the Short Form Power of Attorney. See Short Term Power of Attorney.
- Short Term Power of Attorney
- Users from institutions outside of Canada must complete this form when shipping goods to TRIUMF if they do not have a longterm power of attorny on file. This form authorizes TRIUMF's Canadian customs broker to clear the goods into Canada. Also see Full Power of Attorney
Maintained by TRIUMF Administration Computing Group