Canada's National Laboratory for Particle and Nuclear Physics
STUDENT JOB PROGRAM
Summer 2018 job posting
Job number TR18-2-32
Position Title:Communications Assistant
Name of Project:Office of Strategic Communications
Overview:TRIUMF is Canada’s particle accelerator centre. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business.
TRIUMF’s Strategic Communications Team is a vibrant group committed to empowering and enabling TRIUMF to safely and effectively fulfill its mission by:
• Creating and implementing integrated communication strategies and campaigns
• Ensuring understanding and alignment of the laboratory’s vision and priorities, both internally and externally
• Building and fostering strong relationships and managing TRIUMF’s brand
• Sharing the TRIUMF story and the wonder of the process of research, discovery, and innovation
We are seeking a motivated and dynamic individual to take on the role of Communications Assistant, working on a wide range of projects that advance TRIUMF’s mission through both internal and external communications.
Duties:The Communications Assistant will:
• Interact with a broad cross-section of the TRIUMF community to develop content in support of both internal and external communications strategies. Communications vehicles may include the TRIUMF website, social media platforms, e-newsletters, in-person interactions, special events, posters and signage, newsletters, emails, interactive experiences, and much more. Subject matter can range from scientific discoveries, to technical writing, to human interest pieces, to health and safety updates.
• Contribute to the development of new and revising existing print and digital communications materials.
• Play a key role in curating, planning, and publishing our social media content.
• Contribute to the planning, preparation, and execution of content strategies, digital campaigns, development, and maintenance of databases, educational outreach initiatives, special events, conferences, promotional activities, and other projects as needed. Specifically, the role will also include duties related to project management, planning, and execution for TRIUMF's ongoing 50th-anniversary celebration throughout 2018.
Skills learned during this work experience:The Communications Assistant will gain experience in skills areas such as: public relations and marketing, science communications and outreach, editing and writing for clarity and content, team-based problem solving, implementing communications strategies, corporate storytelling, internal communications, media relations, event planning, communications design, resourcefulness, and project management. Wherever possible, the assignments will be oriented towards areas the incumbent prefers and wants to develop. We want our team members to learn new skills or enhance existing skills while at TRIUMF. In particular, the Communications Assistant will learn about the wide-range of research being conducted at TRIUMF.
Qualifications:The successful candidate should have (minimum) two years of undergraduate or related experience. The incumbent is a clear, strategic thinker and communicator with outstanding interpersonal skills. The candidate should have at least one year of coursework in writing and composition or demonstrably comparable experience. The incumbent will have the ability to translate complex topics into clear and relevant communications. Experience in journalism, corporate storytelling, digital storytelling, and/or media relations is highly sought. The incumbent must be a self-starter and resourceful.
The candidate should be familiar with all elements of Microsoft Office, Google Docs, Hootsuite, Adobe Creative Suite, content management systems, etc. Expertise in visual arts and graphic design related to public relations or marketing is a plus.
Strong project management skills and the ability to work strategically within deadlines are both valuable assets for this position.
Period of work:May - Aug 2018 with possible 4-month extension
Salary is commensurate with academic progress and previous relevant work experience, and
ranges from $ 2080 to $ 2800 per month plus 4% vacation pay. |
TRIUMF pays round-trip airfare (this does not apply to Vancouver/Victoria students); for Vancouver Island students, TRIUMF will pay ferry costs.
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace, and we
welcome applications from all qualified undergraduate students as defined below:
Applications must be received at TRIUMF by 4:00pm Pacific time on 2018-01-22.
One complete PDF for EACH position must be submitted. Please save the PDF as lastname-job number (eg Smith-15.pdf)
No phone calls please. TRIUMF wishes to thank all applicants for their interest, and regrets that only those being considered will be contacted.
For more information, visit our web site