Canada's National Laboratory for Particle and Nuclear Physics
STUDENT JOB PROGRAM
Summer 2018 job posting
Job number TR18-2-22
Position Title:Electronics firmware/hardware developer
Name of Project:BL1A Protect Monitor Electronics upgrade; E-Linac Faraday Cup electronics;
Overview:This job would contribute to the development of the new electronics for the protect monitor, including the FPGA firmware, PCB layout, hardware assembly, testing and calibration, under the supervision of a senior engineer.
Duties:1. Schematics capture/PCB layout;
2. Firmware design for FPGA using Verilog;
3. Assembly PCB;
4. Testing/Calibrating final system;
5. Document above activities.
Skills learned during this work experience:1. Altium PCB/schematics tool;
2. Modelsim/Verilog simulation, Xilinx for FPGA design;
3. Circuit board hand soldering techniques, and knowledge for SMD;
4. Programming language, Labview, Python.
5. Ms office tools, Word, Excel;
Qualifications:1. Currently second/third year enrolled in a post-secondary computer/electronics/electrical engineering program;
2. Must have previous experience on FPGA design using Verilog/VHDL;
3. Must have previous experience on electronics design/assembly for at least one term;
4. Labview/Python GUI programming experience is a plus.
Period of work:May - Aug 2018 with possible 4-month extension
Salary is commensurate with academic progress and previous relevant work experience, and
ranges from $ 2080 to $ 2800 per month plus 4% vacation pay. |
TRIUMF pays round-trip airfare (this does not apply to Vancouver/Victoria students); for Vancouver Island students, TRIUMF will pay ferry costs.
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace, and we
welcome applications from all qualified undergraduate students as defined below:
Applications must be received at TRIUMF by 4:00pm Pacific time on 2018-01-22.
One complete PDF for EACH position must be submitted. Please save the PDF as lastname-job number (eg Smith-15.pdf)
No phone calls please. TRIUMF wishes to thank all applicants for their interest, and regrets that only those being considered will be contacted.
For more information, visit our web site