Canada's National Laboratory for Particle and Nuclear Physics
STUDENT JOB PROGRAM
Summer 2018 job posting
Job number TR18-2-14
Position Title:Cyclotron Controls Coop Student
Name of Project:Cyclotron Controls Module Testing
Overview:The incumbent will be working with the Cyclotron Controls Group, which is responsible for the maintenance and improvements of the computer based control system of the TRIUMF 500MeV cyclotron. The job would mainly involve using existing test programs and test fixtures to test, troubleshoot, and repair a variety of electronic modules used in the Cyclotron Control System.
Duties:* Testing and repair of electronic modules (digital & analogue) used to interface devices to the control system.
* Updating test programs for various modules used in the control system.
* Updating documentation for the Cyclotron Control System (schematics, manuals, etc. ).
* Participating in the jobs required to maintain and improve the control system and lab diagnostic facilities.
Skills learned during this work experience:* Electronics troubleshooting skills will be learned.
* Will become familiar with a digital I/O bus.
* Programming skills will be learned or improved.
* Hands-on electronic skills will be developed or greatly improved.
Qualifications:* Must be able to solder.
* Basic electronics knowledge is a must.
* Some experience with either personal or micro computer operating system.
* Ability to read and interpret electronic documentation.
* Familiarity with AutoCAD, Altium/Protel or other CAD/CAE programs would be an asset.
Period of work:Four month term. Extension will be evaluated. with possible 4-month extension
Salary is commensurate with academic progress and previous relevant work experience, and
ranges from $ 2080 to $ 2800 per month plus 4% vacation pay. |
TRIUMF pays round-trip airfare (this does not apply to Vancouver/Victoria students); for Vancouver Island students, TRIUMF will pay ferry costs.
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace, and we
welcome applications from all qualified undergraduate students as defined below:
Applications must be received at TRIUMF by 4:00pm Pacific time on 2018-01-22.
One complete PDF for EACH position must be submitted. Please save the PDF as lastname-job number (eg Smith-15.pdf)
No phone calls please. TRIUMF wishes to thank all applicants for their interest, and regrets that only those being considered will be contacted.
For more information, visit our web site